Friday, August 15, 2014

Teen review of "Twenty Boy Summer" by Sarah Ockler

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

When I started reading the book Twenty Boy Summer I did not know what to expect. I really enjoyed reading this book, and could not put it down once I started reading it. This book is a mixture of realistic fiction, and romance. I would recommend this book to teenage girls who like to read heartfelt books that they could relate to. Twenty Boy Summer is a heartfelt book about a teenage girl learning to love and let go.

Anna and Frankie are best friends. What Frankie doesn't know is that Anna has been in love with Frankie's brother Matt since she was ten years old. Their whole lives, Matt, Anna, and Frankie have been really close and really good friends. At Anna's birthday party, Matt and Anna finally share a kiss. After that, they spent many nights sneaking out, and talking under the stars. Anna had made a promise to Matt that she would not tell Frankie about their love, because Matt wanted to tell her himself. When Matt tragically dies in a car crash that the two others survived, Anna is forced to keep that promise forever. A year later, Frankie and Anna are going to spend 20 days in Zanzibar Bay. Frankie is set on making sure Anna has a summer romance. But Anna believes that if she does, she will forget all about Matt.

This book's author, Sarah Ockler, did a very good job in writing this heartfelt, emotional book about love and loss. I could relate to the pain of losing a best friend and that kind of relationship. I would be lying if I said I didn't shed a few tears reading this book. This book explains how it feels to lose someone that is close to you and that is someone you love. I know that there are many people that can relate to that pain. In Twenty Boy Summer, Anna is trying to let go and learn to love again. This is what makes this book inspirational in a way. I would definitely recommend this book, and I loved reading it.

- Julia